KING CAPRESE SALAD
this is one of my favorite salads specially because of its simplicity, speed to prepare it, and most importantly wonderful end result. We have to clarify that the original “Caprese” is only tomato, mozzarella, fresh basil and olive oil, nothing more. In this case, and to fancy a bit the flavors and with the help of a couple more ingredients, we have “King Caprese Salad”.
In addition to the layers of mozzarella and tomato we add slices of zucchini, and we top it with diced mozzarella cheese mixed with chopped Black Olives, sprinkle all with a balsamic vinaigrette and a basil julienne and you have funky looking salad that tastes amazing.
Start with a layer of tomato, zucchini, mozzarella and depending on the thickness of your slices you decide how many layers you will have per tower.
- Tomato / 6 tomatoes
- Mozzarella Cheese balls / 1 lbs
- Zucchini / 2
- Black Olives / 1/3 cup
- Fresh Basil / 8 leaves
- Olive oil / 1/3 cup
- Balsamic Vinegar / 3 tbsp
- By nice and ready tomatoes with a beautiful red deep color
- You will not be able to use the middle part of the tomatoes to have all same size slices.
- Try to get same thickness tomatoes and zucchini
- Possibly you will need several cuts of the mozzarella balls to form a layer
- When preparing the vinaigrette add first the vinegar, salt and pepper, dissolving the salt well. Remember salt does not dissolve in oil but it does in vinegar.
- Do not overly chop the basil or it will turn black. Just role all the leaves together and cut thin slices to acchieve the julienne cut. Sprinkle on top and around each tower.