The mother of all meat sauces, Ragu Sauce, perfect to make a delicious pasta, lasagna or cannelloni. You can even pour over boiled or roasted potatoes for a more complete dish. Ideal if you are hungry to get your hands dirty and do some serious cooking. It’s a long process, about 3 hours, but believe me when I say your family will be very greatfull. This sauce is ideal, when making a big batch, to freeze and save for future servings.
Separately, we will caramelize the vegetables until perfect, and we will caramelize the meat to enhance the beef flavor, add the liquids: wine, milk and tomato sauce, lower temperature and let it cook and reduce for 3 hours.
- The soffritto is made of 4 ingredients: onions, carrots, garlic and celery.
- Basically you use the same weight amount for the meat and vegetables. If you are going to use 2 lbs of meat, you will need same amount in total of vegetables.
- To achieve the perfect dish the caramelization of the “soffritto” is of utmost importance, you have to be patient and allow the sugars in the carrots and onions to caramelize, depending on quantities about 30 minutes.
- The whole mixture will turn golden orange and together these 4 ingredients will become one of the most important elements of the final flavor.
- Choose a deep pan with lid that will hold all the ingredients together
STEP BY STEP
- Add all the vegetables for the “soffritto” to food processor and spin for about 15 seconds, you don’t want to puree the vegetables, you want a coarse consistency.
- Heat pan to med high heat and add a fair share of butter and oil to it, don’t be stingy with it, add the processed vegetables to pan and caramelize / uncovered
- Do not over mix, allow the vegetables to color before turning and tossing / aprox. 30 min. / set aside
- Add milk / let liquid absorb about 3 min.
- Add tomato paste diluted in beef stock / add enough liquid to till one finger over the top / bring to a boil
- When boiling reduce heat to the lowest possible temperature, cover, and cook for 1 ½ hours or more, in reality the more you cook this sauce the better it gets.
- The last half hour, if you think the sauce is too liquid, remove lid, raise temp. and allow to boil at higher rate to reduce liquid.
- Onions / diced / 5 cups
- Carrots / diced / 2 cups
- Celery / diced / ½ cup
- Garlic / diced / 8 cloves
- Beef minced meat / medium quality / 2 lbs.
- Tomato Paste / 12 oz
- Beef stock / 4 to 6 cups
- Wine / 1 cup
- Milk / 1 cup