Amazing tropical fish Ceviche with ginger, bell peppers, black olives, red onions and lime-cilantro dressing. The quintessential dish from the tropics, fresh, healthy, low in calories and most importantly very delicious. The trick to a great ceviche is the “Leche de Tigre” or “Tiger Milk” typical of Peru, the masters of “Ceviches”. Together the fish and this juice will give you an outstanding Tropical Fish Ceviche to enjoy, typically as a starter.
STEP BY STEP
- Cut the fish fillet in equal size pieces about 1/2 in. across
- Salt the cut fish and let it penetrate for minimum 30 minutes. I normally do this step, the cutting and salting the night before.
- Place the fish pieces in bowl with plenty lemon juice to marinate. For 2 lbs. of fish I use about 3/4 cup of fresh lemon juice.
- Leave the fish to marinate for 15 minutes.
- While the fish marinates cut the vegetables trying to maintain similar size when cutting.
- Drain the lime juice from the fish and preserve the liquid.
- Add the cut vegetables and mix well.
- Add a dash of salt and sugar (1 teaspoon for whole amount) to balance the flavors and acidity; finish with olive oil to your taste. You will be amazed how a bit of sugar helps the all-around flavor.
- Keep refrigerated
“LECHE DE TIGRE” / flavoring juice or dressing
- Add the remaining lime juice from the marinade used for the fish to blender
- Add double amount of fish stock to lemon juice, in the blender (Fish cubes for stock / about 1 cup liquid)
- Add milk 1/3 cup
- Ginger / chopped / 1 tbsp.
- Cilantro / chopped / 2 tbsp.
- Onion / 2 tbsp.
- Bell peppers / 2 tbsp.
- Honey / 1 tbsp.
- Salt / 1 tspn
- Blend all ingredients well until smooth
- Pour over the fish
INGREDIENTS for Tropical fish Ceviche
SERVES: 4 people
- Fish fillets / cut into ½ in cubes / 1.5 lbs.
- Tomato / in cubes / 1 cup
- Yellow bell peppers / in cubes / ½ cup
- Red onions / in cubes / ½ cup
- Black olives / diced / ½ cup
- Limes / enough to make 1 cup juice
- Cilantro / chopped / ½ cup / to be mixed with vegetables
- Honey or brown sugar
- Salt & Pepper