In a normal salmon ceviche recipe or salmon ceviche salad, you might mix the fish or seafood with lemon juice, wait some time, add some herbs and vegetables, and there you have it, you’re done. Of course we weren’t going to do that!! What did you expect?…that we were going to finish the fun part, the cooking part, in 15 minutes?…Nop, not today….or tomorrow. One more time remember this site is about, enjoying life cooking!!..OK.
I’ll give you a short summary of what we are doing now so you know where we are heading. First we’re marinating the seafood in lemon, and while this process is going on, we’re making “leche de Tigre” or Tiger’s milk. Please don’t ask me why in God’s heaven is called like that, if it’s made with seafood, but that’s what they call it in Peru and Peru is its origin,…sorry.
The “Leche de Tigre” will be the base of our seasoning juice for the ceviche, and once we have it, we’ll take our seafood out of the lemon, mix it with our other ingredients, and flavor everything with it, and Voila’…there you have it!! our mouthwatering, delicious, extravagant, salmon ceviche…..Yabadabadoo!!
Now, a couple extra words. You can prepare in advance this ceviche but……not with the avocado in it. This part you shall do right before you serve otherwise the avocado goes grayish and mushy.
- Salmon / cut in ½ in. pieces / 1 lbs
- Shrimp / cut in ½ in. pieces / 1 lbs
- Avocado / cubes ½ in. / 12 oz
- Black olives / slices / 6 oz
- Red onion / finely sliced / 4 tbsp
- tomato / diced / 6 oz or(2 tbsp x serving)
- Cilantro / chopped / 4 tbsp
- Limes (green) / 8 – 10
Leche de Tigre
- Salmon / cut in ½ in. / 2 oz
- Lemon juice / ¼ cup
- Olive oil / ¼ cup
- Fish stock / cubes dissolved in water/ ½ cup
- Milk / ½ cup
- Cilantro / finely chopped / 1 tbsp
- Red onion / 1 tbsp
- Ginger / 1 tsp
- Red chili pepper / to taste
My recommendation so you really enjoy your cooking is get organized so you move easily through the recipe. Start by preparing and cutting all the ingredients listed above so you have them ready for each stage.
- Add together in glass bowl the diced salmon and shrimp
- Add salt to your taste and mix well, let stand 2 min.
- Add lemon juice enough to barely cover. When squeezing out the lemon juice squeeze ¾ of the way, DO NOT over squeeze or you will get bitterness in the juice.
- Let stand 5 minutes, remove from the lemon, pass through sieve. DO NOT throw away the lemon juice!! You will use it now for the, by now famous, “Leche de Tigre”.
PREPARE THE “LECHE DE TIGRE”
- Throw all ingredients detailed above, together in blender and let it run for good 4 minutes at high.
- Pass everything through a thin sieve and squeeze out the liquid out of the remains. Fine tune to your taste with more or less lemon, hot chili, ginger. It has to be lemon tangy like you would like it over your seafood. Refrigerate.
PUT TOGETHER THE CEVICHE
- Mix together the salmon, shrimp, olives, onion, tomato, and cilantro. Leave out only the avocado. Refrigerate, you can do this part in advance.
- When ready to serve, dice the avocado and gently toss and mix with the rest of ceviche ingredients.
- Add some of the Leche de Tigre , about 3 tbsp per serving at this point, serve in serving bowls. Just before serving each bowl add another 2 tbsp of juice to the ceviche. You have to have plenty of liquid in the bowl.