Italian Risotto has become one of the most renowned dishes of Italy’s cuisine. It comes from the northern regions were extensive rice fields, specially along the Po river, harvest one of the best rice varieties, known as Arborio.
In this recipe, the combination of spinach and gorgonzola together with crunchy and flavorful bacon will give a powerful risotto that will convince anybody of your culinary ability.
For this Bacon Spinach & Gorgonzola Risotto, remember that a true risotto is meant to be moist and smooth and not dry and flaky like we normally see our traditional rice dishes. Another important factor is to serve it as soon as it is ready, hot, straight out of the pot without leaving it to cool, or you risk it becoming sticky and gooey. Please serve it as soon as it’s ready and Buon Appetito!!
STEP BY STEP
- Add the onions to pan cook for 5 min.
- Add white wine and butter / allow onions to turn golden
- Add chopped spinach or kale / cover / cook 5 min. for spinach to soften
- Add rice and mix well
- Mix the broth and mik together/ 2 cups of broth + 1 cup milk / taste for flavor / add more cube or salt if needed
- Add broth mix to rice / cover / reduce to low and cook for about 12 min. / try rice and decide if more time needed or not / try it every 2 min. at the end / risotto has to be moist in consistency and
- After you add the broth to rice, you have time to cook the bacon, let it cool, and chop
- When rice is ready add the Gorgonzola Cheese / mix well
- Add half of the chopped bacon and mix
- Serve & sprinkle the remaining bacon on top
- 5 cups Rice
- 3 cups chopped Spinach or Kale
- 1 cup White onions
- ½ cup White wine
- 2 cups Chicken or Beef broth (cubes/can)
- 1 cup Milk
- 1 tbsp aprox. Butter
- To taste (aprox. 2tbsp x person) Gorgonzola Cheese
- ¾ cup cooked Bacon (aprox. 1lbs)